What To Consider When Buying
When comparing and evaluating litter boxes, consider the following:
The majority of self-cleaning litter boxes have sensors that activate cleaning a few minutes after your cat finishes its business.
However, if you want to schedule the scooping time, look for litter boxes with an adjustable timer.
Some models are self-flushable, while others have a bin that you have to empty. Both systems are good. You just need to choose the one that suits your needs better.
According to many customers, this type of litter box can be quite noisy due to all its moving parts. This can be scary to cats and annoying for pet owners, especially if they dont turn off the box during the night.
Ease of Cleaning
Just because these litter boxes are self-cleaning doesnt mean you never have to clean them. Select a model thats easy to assemble after cleaning. Simpler models are usually easier to clean.
As we mentioned, different models require different litter. Choose a model that supports the litter your cat likes using, or you may end up with a litter box thats useless.
The Number of Cats
Never assume that a litter box can handle the waste of more than one cat. If you have two or more cats, be sure to buy a multi-cat one. These models have a bigger capacity, a larger frame, and a heavier build.
Why You Should Trust Us
Over the last two years, weve spent a lot of time figuring out what it takes to make a great automatic litter box.
Weve researched the types of boxes available, read hundreds of customer reviews, and performed real-world tests on the top automatic litter boxes. We spent over 60 hours testing these litter boxes, paying attention to key factors like thoroughness, odor control, and long-term reliability.
Based on this extensive research and hands-on testing, weve selected the following automatic cat litter boxes as the best you can buy.
Worlds Best Cat Litter
Worlds Best doesnt quite live up to its lofty name, but this is nevertheless a quality litter thats worthy of your consideration.
One of the biggest selling points for this option is its safe for your septic tank, allowing you to flush clumps as needed. This cuts down on waste that goes to landfills, while also eliminating any smelly litter sitting around your house.
The bag claims that this is a dust-free formula, but we didnt find that to be the case. Youll still have a bit of a mess to clean up every time your cat covers up after herself, and it does little to control odors, so youll want to flush it ASAP.
Worlds Best does clump very quickly, though, so you shouldnt have to wait very long after she finishes her business before you can clean up. Shell probably wonder why youre lurking around the bathroom, though, so expect a few judgmental stares on her way out.
- Not very good odor control
Don’t Miss: One Cat Year To Human Years
Can You Use Regular Litter In An Automatic Litter Box
Cat owners are only too familiar with the task of cleaning the litter box, and some may choose to spend some extra money and purchase an automatic litter box. If you would rather not clean the litter box several times a day, a self-cleaning litter box may be the way to go. There are a variety of automatic litter boxes available, some are covered, some are more traditional and open, while others are round, rectangular, or oval-shaped. If you are considering an automatic litter box, its important to know what kind of litter to use, and we will answer the question of can you use regular litter in an automatic litter box?
There are many automatic litter boxes on the market, and these litter boxes work by either raking or sifting waste into a separate, sealed compartment. This must be emptied regularly to keep the automatic box functioning how it should. Another factor is that regular litter cannot be used in an automatic self-cleaning litter box and that certain types of cat litter work better than others when it comes to keeping the litter box functioning the way that it should.
Fresh Step Cat Litter Box Odor Eliminating Powder
- ELIMINATES ODORS QUICKLY Fresh Step Litter Box Odor Eliminating Powder targets cat urine and feces odor to quickly and efficiently eliminate smells this cat deodorizer for litter box comes with added zeolites for better kitty litter odor removal
- KEEP YOUR CAT BOX FRESH This heavy duty and long-lasting cat litter deodorizer will keep your litter box smelling consistently fresh the litter box cleaner is scented for a revitalizing smell that will replace the cat litter odor
- EASY-TO-USE Litter odor eliminator is easy to use, just sprinkle evenly on litter after scooping or anytime your litter needs a boost to remove litter box odor
- PET FRIENDLY This cat box odor eliminator is pet friendly and provides litter box odor control for all types of litter the litter box odor destroyer also helps prevent clumps from sticking to the litter box
- 16 OUNCES The litter box odor neutralizer comes in a 16-ounce container and works on older cats too to give you a no odor litter box for a cat of any age
Also Check: How To Make Wild Animal On Little Alchemy
Tidy Cats Free And Clean Clumping Litter
Tidy Cats offers their litter in various packaging, including bags, jugs, and pails. This is an excellent choice for homes with multiple cats. Free and Clean clumping litter is free of fragrance and dyes.
Natural odor control is guaranteed for up to 10 days, thanks to the activated charcoal and ammonia blocker found in this litter. Another positive being this litter is about 50% lighter than other top clay clumping litter brands.
Between the weight and convenient packaging, pet owners can enjoy an easy pour as well as a simple clean-up.
Kocat Natural Wood Clumping Cat Litter
Before you dismiss this product, it is worth knowing that it is focused on using eco-friendly materials. Having this cat litter inside your fur babys box is not only helping him get comfy as he excretes but it saves the environment as a whole.
How exactly does this happen? Well, this product uses wood fiber, a biodegradable option that once or reintroduced to the environment decomposes thereby reducing pollution. In other words, you can flush it down your toilet once you are done cleaning or changing the litter.
It is very light and absorbs a large amount of fluid and waste to form rock-solid clumps for quick cleaning. The wood fiber used is screened and dedusted rendering it free of any form of dust.
Also, the fiber has natural enzymes that stop odors from escaping into the air surrounding the litter box. ÖKOCAT Natural Wood Clumping Cat Litter comes packed in varied sizes from small to large. This is the best alternative to clay clumping litter.
- Lightweight and is highly absorbent
- Made with screened and dedusted wood fiber
- Contains natural enzymes to fight bad odor release
- Is naturally scented. Free from harmful fragrances and chemicals
Also Check: Cat To Human Year Ratio
How To Choose An Automatic Litter Box
Providing your cat with quality cat food and a comfortable litter box is just a part of being a good pet parent. However, as simple as it may seem, selecting the right litter box for your little furball is not easy.
You have to think about dozens of factors and take into account every little detail. Luckily, our brief guide will help you during the selection process.
Testing The Health Monitoring System
Fortunately, my cats urine seemed to be within the healthy pH range throughout the testing process.
Because I wanted to see how the litter would respond to different pH levels, however, I ran an experiment using three different solutions:
After pouring the solutions into separate containers of Pretty Litter, I noticed the colors changing and deepening over time. They achieved their deepest color a few minutes after pouring.
Here is what the different colors indicate:
- Red May indicate a Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disorder , kidney stones, bladder stones, bladder inflammation, kidney disease, or clotting disorders. In rare cases, it may also indicate bladder cancer or internal injury.
- Orange May be a sign of metabolic acidosis, kidney tubular acidosis, or calcium oxalate crystal formation.
- Blue or Dark Green May indicate certain types of urinary tract infections and an increased risk for crystal/stone formation.
- Dark Yellow/Olive Green Indicates urine within the typical pH range.
Its important to note that Pretty Litter is a tool that provides insight into your cats health but should not be used as a replacement for medical diagnostics or veterinary care. If the product indicates a potential health problem, take your cat to the vet.
Read Also: Drawing Miraculous Ladybug And Cat Noir
Petmate Purrforma Extra Large Cat Litter Box Disposal System
Again, this one has the rakes. They’re steel rakes, but have the same problems all automatic litter boxes have: the rakes get stuck, the litter tie waste bags don’t properly fit and needs to be taped down, the rakes miss a lot of clumps, and, you guessed it, the motor dies prematurely.
Other Boxes With Rakes: Scoopfree Automatic Cat Litter Box and Tidy Cats Breeze Cats Litter Box System. Just say âNOâ to the rakes!
Fresh Step Odor Shield Scented Litter With The Power Of Febreze Clumping Cat Litter 14 Lbs
- CLUMPING LITTER: Fight litter box odors with the strength of the original Fresh Step Odor Shield Litter partnered with the power of Febreze in our easy to scoop, clumping clay cat litter
- ODOR CONTROL CAT LITTER: Specially formulated for the stinkiest litter boxes, this Fresh Step litter has a 10-day odor control guarantee with activated charcoal that traps and eliminates kitty litter odor
- LOW DUST LITTER: For cleaner surfaces and clearer air, we developed a low dust formula thats paw activated fragrance is released every time your cat uses the litter box in four compact, convenient resealable packs that make litter easy to carry, pour and store
- SCOOPABLE KITTY LITTER: Make cleaning easy with the clumping formula that absorbs liquid and forms tight clumps leaving behind no stinky crumbles with ClumpLock technology
- FRESH STEP CAT LITTER: Made for extreme litter box odors, this scented Fresh Step scoopable cat litter is created with your cats health and happiness in mind
Read Also: Remove Cat Urine Odor From Hardwood Floors
Is An Automatic Litter Box Worth It
If you are looking for convenience, and would rather not stoop over and clean the litter box multiple times per day, then an automatic litter box is worth it. They cut down on cleaning time, can reduce odors, and make it easier to get out of town for a few days without having to hire a cat-sitter. If you plan a long weekend away, having a self-cleaning litter box might make it that much easier for you and your cat.
Smartcat All Natural Clumping Litter Premium Choice
SmartCat All Natural is a great option for users who are tired of dealing with dust and clay, as its made purely of grass seed. The end result is a litter that clumps well without sending powder all over your home.
Its especially good for those who dont like dealing with wet clumps of urine, as it hardens until all the moisture is absorbed. This creates a hard ball that comes out easily and isnt likely to fall apart between the box and bag.
Grass seed weighs half as much as clay, so youll find that a 20-pound bag of this stuff lasts about twice as long as a similarly-sized bag of traditional litter. Thats good because its probably at least twice as expensive as the regular stuff.
One other issue we found with the SmartCat All Natural was the fact that the animals tend to track it all over the place, so if you buy it, make sure you have a mat outside the box . Thats an easy fix, though, so its not worth knocking this litter down more than a spot or two.
- Gets tracked all over the place
Don’t Miss: 17 Cat Years To Human Years
Arm & Hammer Clump & Seal Platinum Cat Litter Multi
- 10% more odor eliminators than our Clump & Seal fresh scent. Clump and Seal Cat Litter Multicat Platinum odor control clumping cat litter has powerful odor eliminators plus ARM & HAMMER Baking Soda. Strong enough for multi-cat households
- 100% dust free platinum formula kitty litter. Zero dust cloud when you pour it. Even our largest size, Clump & Seal Platinum Multicat cat litter, is 100% dust-free. Powerful cat litter odor control so its strong enough for multi-cat homes
- 7 day odor-free home, Guaranteed. Clump & Seal MultiCat clumping cat litter. Get the cat odor control benefits of having a cat odor eliminating litter box. So effective, its guaranteed to keep your home odor-free for 7 days
- Patented formula seals and destroys odors on contact. Complete odor-sealing clumping cat litter, a breakthrough in odor control. Unique technology forms a tight seal around odor and destroys it with powerful odor eliminators and Baking Soda
- Rock hard clumps for easy scooping. Clumping cat litter with plant-derived particles that help create rock solid cat litter clumping. Moisture-activated Micro-Granules form tight seal around waste without cat litter crystals or cat litter pellets
Are Automatic Cat Litter Boxes Worth It
Trust us when we say theyre worth every penny. There are tons of benefits of automatic litter boxes. Here are but a few:
When youre working most of the day, travel often, come home late, or youre just busy in general, these litter boxes can save you precious time time you could spend playing with your pet.
As these boxes are configured to clean themselves, theres no risk of forgetting to empty the litter box. Your cat will be grateful, and you wont have to deal with remembering to clean it.
Having an automatic litter box means regular cleaning, which leads to much less odor in your home.
Less Contact with Cat Waste
Cat waste, like any other waste, is not only gross, but its also dangerous. Accumulated cat waste releases ammonia that can be dangerous to human health. It can cause respiratory issues and bacterial and parasite infections.
Keeps Your Cat Indoors
Indoor cats live much longer than outdoor ones. A self-cleaning litter box will keep them inside for longer, prolonging their life.
Healthier and Happier Cat
Your cat may hold it in if their litter box isnt clean, which can cause urinary tract infections and cause more severe health issues.
However, having a good self-cleaning litter box means always having a clean box and a happy and healthy cat.
Read Also: Is There Such A Thing As Cat Years
Whats The Best Cat Litter To Use With The Petsafe Scoopfree Ultra
This litter box comes with disposable cardboard trays, which are pre-filled with the perfect amount of silica gel crystal litter. Refilling the automatic litter box with these cardboard trays can become costly, so many users opt to cut replacement costs by ditching the cardboard and replacing it with a reusable plastic cartridge. If you choose to stop using the pre-filled cardboard trays, youre responsible for choosing your own litter.
You can use PetSafes own silica gel crystals, which are available in unscented traditional blue, undyed crystals for sensitive cats, and another variety of silica gel litter that has a lavender color and fragrance. Whats great about this litter is the fact that each bag contains just the right amount to fill up your automatic litter box.
But dont think youre limited to PetSafes silica gel litter. You can use any type of silica gel crystal litter on the market. Its always best to choose a fine-grained product thats gentle under your cats paws.
Petsafe Simply Clean System Automatic Cat Litter Box
Automatic cat litter boxes seem to come with rules. To get them to work properly you have to follow the instructions to the letter. If you dont, the effects can be rather unpleasant.
But a scoopless cat box doesnt have to be a complex piece of engineering.
This PetSafe box demonstrates that simplicity of design and approach works just as well.
Note though that the conveyor belt moves slowly, but moves all the time. This may be something the cat will need to get used to.
The PetSafe Simply Clean System Automatic Cat Litter Box has an elegant approach to a not so elegant job. It isnt all singing and dancing, you have to get involved and you have to do some of the cleaning. But you can let the maintenance slip for a while.
The unit is circular and sits quite close to the ground. There is a spacious bag unit which collects waste, and a conveyor which removes the waste into the bag. The design is simple with few bells and whistles but what you want is something that works.
The box needs to be connected to an electricity supply, but there is no programming or complex electronics. It simply works on an hourly schedule where the conveyor belt revolves and cleans up.
Note though that the conveyor belt moves slowly, but moves all the time. This may be something the cat will need to get used to. But it really is so slow that most cats dont even really notice
Don’t Miss: Switching From Litter To Pellets
Best Clumping Cat Litters Of 2022 Expert Picks & Reviews
Clumping cat litter is convenient, helps to eliminate bad litter odors, and is usually easier to clean than non-clumping. The majority of litters on the market today are clumping, although non-clumping alternatives do still exist.
Clumping litters can be made from materials ranging from tried and traditional clay to silica crystals. They can be scented or unscented, and they can be designed for use with a single cat or in a multi-cat household.
To help you find the best clumping cat litters, we have compiled reviews of ten of the best.