Thank You For Signing Up
to view our current issue of Animal Wellness Magazine.
You will receive a 1 Year Digital Subscription to North Americas #1 Natural Health Magazine for Dogs & Cats. An email will be sent to you with each new issue that is published.Interested in a print subscription?
Thank You! the Animal Wellness Top Health Tips eBook
Is Montmorillonite Clay Same As Bentonite Clay
what is the difference between montmorillonite clay and bentonite clay? Are these clays the same? If you have been learning a lot on clays, you will realize that the names calcium montmorillonite clay and bentonite clay are used interchangeably by some individuals or publishers. This creates confusion to newbies in the world of clay. Well, are these two clays the same?
According to Perry, author of Living Clay: Natures Own Miracle Cure, they are NOT specifically the same but they are similar in terms of properties and abilities. They are both smectites meaning that the difference between them is minor. Most smectite clays have montmorillonite properties.
Clays are often named after the place they were first discovered. Bentonite was originally named for Smectite clay found near Fort Benton just like montmorillonite was named after Montmorillon. Most Smectites are now referred to as Bentonites or Montmorillonites. Eytonearth.org has some interesting information in regard to calcium montmorillonite vs bentonite. The similarities or possible differences between these two smectite clay minerals have been discussed to some detail.
What Is Montmorillonite Clay
Montmorillonite clay, an aluminum phyllosilicate clay formed from volcanic ash, was named for Montmorillon, France, where it was discovered. It has, however, been found throughout the world. Montmorillonite clay has been used for medicinal reasons since ancient Egyptian times and in over 200 cultures worldwide throughout history.
In people, this living clay is thought to bind aflotoxins and toxic heavy metals in the digestive tract due to its molecular structure and negative ionic charge. It is highly adsorbant, meaning harmful positively charged molecules attach to the large surface area of molecules in the clay, passing through the digestive tract. It is also thought to absorb toxins, acting effectively like a sponge.
Bentonite clay was named after Fort Benton, Wyoming, where it was discovered in the United States and is still found today in abundance. Due to their nearly identical composition, the two terms are used interchangeably.
Don’t Miss: What To Do When Your Cat Has Fleas
Sodium/calcium Montmorillonite Clay Benefits
What are the health benefits of using montmorillonite clay? Living clay is used both internally and externally by human and animals with a myriad of beneficial effects. A recent survey study has shown that proper use of montmorillonite clay augmented with informed dietary intake leads to prevention of common human and animal illnesses by 40-60%. When used by humans, montmorillonite clay has various effects that directly improve health. These include
- It is healing clay for stomach. It improves the speed and efficiency of the digestive system.
- Strengthening both natural and acquired immunity thus sealing off preventable infections
- Reducing allergies to foods and drugs
- Eliminating heavy metals and other toxins from the body
- Hastening pelotherapy
- Keeping the liver healthy for proper detoxification
- Promoting the presence of normal flora and other beneficial bacteria in the small and large intestines
Montmorillonite Clay In Cat Food Reviews & Buyer Guide:
Clays, including montmorillonite clay, are a great addition to cat food.
Clays are naturally occurring minerals that are mainly found in the soil. The types of clays that are used in cat food range from sodium montmorillonite to calcium montmorillonite. Montmorillonite clay is the most used clay in cat food.
The clays are added to cat food because they improve the texture and the digestion of the food. As the clay is added, it absorbs the moisture and it creates a more stable texture in the food. The clays also increase the digestibility of the food.
Clays are also used in dog food, but they arent as commonly used. Montmorillonite clay is generally considered to be safe for both dogs and cats.
Clays are included in the cat food because of their ability to absorb moisture.
Montmorillonite clay is one of the main ingredients in cat food that helps to absorb moisture. This is a good thing for cats because they tend to have dry food.
Clays also help to improve the taste of the food.
The Montmorillonite Clay In Cat Food is a great option for your cat.
Its a low-cost option that provides a great amount of nutrition, and its safe for your cat.
Montmorillonite clay is a great ingredient for cat food.
It can be found in some of the best brands of cat food, including Montmorillonite Clay In Cat Food.
Title: Natures Gate Cat Food
Also Check: Why Does My Cat Keep Rolling Around
Best Montmorillonite Clay In Cat Food Reviews
Weve all heard of clay in the pot, and used it to make our favourite dishes. And now its being given a new purpose: to help cats have a longer, healthier life. The Montmorillonite Clay is a clay-like mineral. Its a natural substance thats been used in pet foods before, but this new product is much more potent and powerful than the old clay-based formulations. Its a natural alternative to the clay-based clay minerals that you can find in your pet food.
Weve discovered some great Montmorillonite Clay In Cat Food for our readers on Amazon! The list below includes the top ten best selling products on Amazon as well as where they are ranked on Bestseller Rank.
Montmorillonite Clay Side Effects On Dogs And Cats
Is montmorillonite safe for pets? What are the side effects when it is an ingredient in cat or dog food? Following are the side effects of this clay on pets.
The Clay Causes Dioxin Accumulation in Dogs and Cats
Montmorillonite clay side effects in dogs and cats are similar to those in human beings. For a long time researchers have been investigating the chemical components of montmorillonite clay. Surprisingly, they have found out that montmorillonite clay contains traces of dioxin.
Once dogs and cats ingest contaminated montmorillonite clay, dioxins accumulate in their fatty tissues especially in the belly. These dioxins accumulate to levels high enough that they are slowly released into various systems where they cause different effects. In the reproductive system, they affect the fertility of the affected pet to result in infertility.
Analogous research has explained that montmorillonite clay effects resulting from exposure to high levels of dioxins interferes with the natural cycle of reproductive hormones. Ultimately, the entire process of embryonic development malfunctions.
Severe weakening of the immune system predisposes cats and dogs to other opportunistic infections.
Contaminated animal feeds with montmorillonite clay contain aflatoxins which research has proved lethal to such animals.
You May Like: Grain Free Cat Dental Treats
What Are The Side Effects Of Bentonite Clay In Dogs
The benefits of bentonite clay are amazing but you need to monitor how much Clay, you are giving to your dogs. Dogs can eat montmorillonite Clay but feeding them more than the required amount can cause problems too.
- An overdose of bentonite can cause stomach cramps.
- It may trigger diarrhea too.
- A large amount of bentonite clay hardens the stool and can cause constipation in dogs.
- The overdose of bentonite clay is the same as an overdose of any other drug. In some cases, bentonite poisoning was discovered in pets who consumed it in larger quantities.
- Overdose of montmorillonite can cause hypokalemia in pets. Hypokalemia could cause lethargy, seizures, paralysis, or heart attack in pets.
So Is montmorillonite clay bad for dogs? If consumed in a calculated amount then Not at all!
When Not To Give Your Dog Bentonite Clay
- Dont feed your pregnant or lactating dogs, Bentonite Clay. Always talk to your vet if you can feed your dog clay or not.
- Some types of bentonite contain lead which is extremely harmful to pets.
- Dont use it as a regular remedy. If your dog has a medical problem, he needs medication to improve his health condition.
- In many studies, the effects of montmorillonite clay dont exceed the placebo effect. So as long as its working for your dog its good to feed your dog clay. Keep in mind that montmorillonite is not a medication itself
Also Check: How Do You Get Rid Of Cats In Your Yard
Purina Fortiflora Cat Probiotic Powder Supplement Pro Plan Veterinary Supplements Probiotic Cat Supplement 30 Ct Box
as of September 24, 2022 12:31 pm
- 30-Count Box – Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets Probiotics Cat Supplement, Fortiflora Feline Nutritional Supplement
- FortiFlora is the probiotic recommended by veterinarians
- Probiotic supplement for the dietary management of kittens and adult cats with diarrhea
- Contains a probiotic to promote normal intestinal microflora
- Proprietary microencapsulation process for enhanced stability
Why Is Bentonite Clay Powder In Dog And Cat Food
Pet food manufacturers add Bentonite clay powder to dog and cat foods, particularly freeze-dried pet treats, as an anti-caking agent and a natural source of minerals.
Bentonite is also commonly added to livestock feeds as a pellet binder and toxin absorber. If the animals eat bad food, the thinking is the clay will absorb the toxins.
However, the FDA has frowned upon the practice, asking livestock farmers to cease several years ago.
Clay is in approximately 3% of dog foods.
You May Like: How To Remove Cat Urine From Carpet And Padding
Can Dogs Ingest Bentonite Clay
Montmorillonite clay is commonly known as bentonite clay. This is not the RX clay. The difference between both clays is that montmorillonite is hydrated sodium clay whereas RX clay is calcium clay.
As high-quality pet food uses montmorillonite clay in dog food so definitely dogs can ingest bentonite clay. However, you need to monitor the amount of clay your dog is feeding.
Before knowing how much bentonite clay is safe for dogs. You need to know what it does.
Purina Fancy Feast Gravy Wet Cat Food Variety Pack Gravy Lovers Poultry & Beef Feast Collection
$ as of September 24, 2022 12:31 pm
- Twenty-Four 3 oz. Cans – Purina Fancy Feast Gravy Wet Cat Food Variety Pack, Gravy Lovers Poultry & Beef Feast Collection
- Chicken. turkey and beef flavors cats love. 100 percent complete and balanced nutrition
- Tender, delicate bites for a tempting texture. Essential vitamins and minerals to support her overall health
- Mouthwatering gravy tempts her to her dish. Gourmet recipe creates flavor-filled experience
- Packaged in recyclable cans. Crafted in our U.S. facilities
Don’t Miss: How To Train A Cat To Behave
Why Is Montmorillonite Clay In Cat Food
Commercial dry cat foods require an anti-caking agent to keep kibble from clumping in the package. Most of these agents are man-made chemicals. Montmorillonite clay serves as a natural and effective anti-caking additive in some foods advertised as higher quality. Although pet food companies may not make direct claims of healthful benefits, cat owners may be impressed by this ingredient based on health claims in people.
Sodium And Calcium Montmorillonite Clay
There exist two types of montmorillonite, sodium and calcium. Sodium montmorillonite is commonly known as sodium bentonite. The presence of sodium as the predominant exchangeable cation can result in the clay swelling to many times its original
volume. Sodium montmorillonite has most of its uses in the industries whereby it is used in : oil well drilling mud, plaster, cat litter, ce
ment tiles, lubricating grease, dynamite, matches, paints, copy paper, shoe polish, concrete, cleaning agents, wall boards, and crayons. Most of these uses are attributed to swelling property of sodium montmorillonite.
Calcium montmorillonite, is also known as living clay. Why is it called living clay? It is called so because it majorly consists of minerals that improve the production of enzymes in living organisms.
Terramin clay is calcium montmorillonite processed by California Earth Minerals. Terramin is a premium high-grade edible Calcium Montmorillonite clay that is made up of a combination of more than 60 macro, micro and essential trace mineral elements that are purely natural. Generally, calcium montmorillonite clay acts as a catalyst to improve growth, healing, digestion and detoxification in both humans and animals.
You May Like: Hill’s Science Diet Metabolic Canned Cat Food
Yerba Prima Bentonite Clay Plus Herbal Detox 100 Veg Capsules
as of September 24, 2022 12:31 pm
- PULL TOXINS OUT: 100mg of food-grade clay per capsule. Great Plains clay absorbs toxins out of your digestive tract to leave you feeling healthier. What do you want to get rid of?
- ENHANCED WITH CLEANSE-INDUCING HERBS: These herbs trigger your body to release toxins. Then, the clay absorbs these toxins so they can be excreted safely out your bowels. Includes dandelion root which may help with the encourage the liver detox *. Discover the potency of combining detoxing herbs with toxin-absorbing GreatPlains bentonite clay powder.
- TASTES BETTER THAN LIQUID CLAY: If you’ve ever tried drinking clay, you’ll know it has a chalky taste. Get the same benefits from these easy-to-swallow, edible clay pills made for internal use.
- TRUSTED SOURCE: Natural, Vegan, Vegetarian, Non-GMO, Free of Corn, Made without Gluten in a wheat-free facility. Yerba Prima has been making high-quality supplements for over 40 years. Their premium bentonite clay contains calcium clay made from volcanic ash which is excellent at absorbing toxins.
- MADE LOCALLY: in Ashland, Oregon from American Great Plains clay. Yerba Prima has been the go-to source for cleansing supplements with over 5,000,000 bottles sold and counting. We’d love for you to be next! Add to the cart today because you deserve to have cleaner insides.
Montmorillonite Clay In Cat Food Faqs:
Who makes Montmorillonite Clay and where is it produced?Montmorillonite is a type of clay. It is mined and used as a soil stabilizer and as a catalyst. Montmorillonite is commonly used in cat food to provide additional support to the ingredients and help them absorb.
It is also used as a bulking agent to help with the texture of the food. This helps to make the food more appealing and to give it a better texture.
Which Types of Cats is Montmorillonite Clay In Cat Food Best Suited For?Montmorillonite is a clay that is best suited for older catsit tends to be a little more difficult to chew and may not be a good option for a younger cats diet. It is a fairly high quality food, and the clay tends to be a little more durable than other clays.
Some people may find that Montmorillonite is not the most nutritious of foods, especially for a fussy cat. This is because the clay is not a particularly good source of meat proteins or fats, making it a food that is leaner than other types of cat foods. It can also be quite expensive, depending on where you get your food.
You May Like: Cat Food Pate Vs Chunks
Rx Clay For Digestion For Cat And Dog Stomach Relief Cat And Dog Anti Diarrhea Medication Cat And Dog Stomach Upset Medicine For Cat And Dog Diarrhea Extra Large 210 Grams Veterinary Grade
as of September 24, 2022 12:31 pm
- BEST VALUE-210 GRAMS!-100% ALL NATURAL-Made with the most powerful Veterinary grade detoxifying hydrated calcium aluminosilicate clay mineral of volcanic origin created from volcanic deposits that are millions of years old.
- NATURALLY NORMALIZES STOOL- Relieves upset stomachs, diarrhea, gas, and hard stool instantly in dogs and cats.
- REDUCES HARMFUL FLORA IN THE GUT- Without disturbing good flora. Natures answer to your pets digestive problems.
- DETOXIFIES-Removes toxins and heavy metals before they enter the blood stream. Binds with unhealthy metals and toxins and allows your pet to flush them out through their waste.
- MAINTAINS A HEALTHY MICROBIOME-And reverses oxidative damage to your pets digestive system.
Purina Fancy Feast Gravy Wet Cat Food Variety Pack Seafood Grilled Collection
as of September 24, 2022 12:31 pm
- 3 Cans Purina Fancy Feast Gravy Wet Cat Food Variety Pack, Seafood Grilled Collection
- Tender cuts of fish and seafood for a taste cats love. Moisture content maximum is 80%
- 100 percent complete and balanced nutrition for adult cats
- Delicate gravies for added flavor
- Essential vitamins and minerals to support her overall health
You May Like: What Causes Hot Spots On Cats
Montmorillonite Clay In Cat Food
With all the diverse pet food available in the market today, you are sometimes at a loss of what to feed your pet cat. Take, for instance, montmorillonite clay in cat food. Seeing the word clay may put you off in an instant. The good news is that it is safe for cats and even veterinarians are starting to recognize its health benefits for your furry friends.
Customer Reviews And Q& a Terms And Conditions
You agree to not submit the following types of content or any content that violates these Terms and Conditions. Chewy reserves the right not to post any content, and the right to edit or delete any content, if it contains any of the following types of content or otherwise violates these Terms and Conditions:
- You are the sole author of the content and owner of all intellectual property and other rights in the content
- All “moral rights” that you may have in such content have been voluntarily waived by you
- All content that you post is accurate
- You are at least 13 years old
- If you have a material connection to Chewy, that material connection is properly disclosed in the content in accordance with the FTC’s Ã¢ÂÂGuides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in AdvertisingÃ¢ÂÂ
- Use of the content you supply will not violate or infringe upon the rights of any third party or violate applicable law and
You May Like: What Is The Biggest Big Cat