Fundraising And Temporary Credit
- Ask if your veterinarian accepts Care Credit, a credit card specifically for health care expenses, including for pets.
- Try a fundraising platform such as GoFundMe, which enables you to create a personal fundraising page.
- Consider Waggle, a pet-dedicated crowdfunding solution that channels funds directly to verified veterinarians for a pets care.
Are There Spay And Neuter Risks
Complications for spaying and neutering are rare, but there are risks, Corbett says. The risks reflect any type of anesthesia or surgery, so you always have to say that death is a risk. There are a very, very small percentage of animals who can respond poorly to anesthesia, so thats the number one worry.
Kruck says that similar to how humans can react differently to anesthesia, so can animals. The actual surgery, however, is less worrisome.
The risks from the surgery are few because the procedures are very routine, says Kruck. Possible surgical risks include ligatures slipping, contamination of the surgical field, abnormal bleeding due to a clotting disorder, bruising, and pain.
Though its not necessarily a risk, its important to know that sometimes spayed cats will still go into heat. In some cases, part of an ovary is missed during surgery because it was hidden in the abdomen, so the procedure has to be done twice, Corbett says.
Overall, the risks are real, but they are rare.
If youre still nervous heading into the procedure, keep Humlies words in mind: Every pet owner is probably nervous about a surgery, even though its very, very routine surgery most of the time. At our clinic, our doctor has literally done thousands and thousands of them.
Have Your Pet Spayed Or Neutered
Kittens and puppies are cute and all, but giving them away or taking care of them is a hassle.Getting your animal fixed prevents the birth of unwanted animals and makes your cat or dog a better, healthier pet. Unfortunately, it can be expensive until now.
We know you love your pet and want the absolute best for it. Did you know that apart from controlling the animal population, spaying or neutering has health and behavioral benefits?
For males, Neutering
- Stops territorial behaviors like urine marking
- Makes it less likely to bite
- Lowers its risk for testicular cancer
- DOES NOT affect its instinct to guard your family and property
For females, Spaying
- Stops it from going into heat
- Reduces mating behaviors such as yowling, frequent urination and bloody discharge
- Reduces its risk for breast cancer
- Reduces its risk for uterine infections
You May Like: Best Product To Eliminate Cat Urine Odor
Spay Vs Neuter: Whats The Difference
Female cats are spayed and male cats are neutered, and while both have the same result , the two procedures are handled differently due to anatomy.
Neutering involves removal of the testicles, which in a normal cat are external. Kruck says. The procedure itself, in the hands of an experienced veterinarian, is rather short.
On the other hand, Spaying involves an abdominal surgery to remove the ovaries and typically the uterus as well. This procedure is internal and therefore more invasive, and takes somewhat longer, though it is still not a terribly long procedure.
In fact, neutering a cat can take just 30-60 seconds , while spaying takes about 5-10 minutes to be completed, Corbett says. He notes that those numbers are more accurate for high-volume clinics though, and that private veterinarians can take 20-40 minutes for these procedures.
Overall, its important for pet owners to understand what actually goes on and that, in the end, the pet wont be able to reproduce, said Corbett. He says that some male pet owners can struggle with neutering a male animal on the assumption that it will affect the animals masculinity. Corbett cautions that animals are different from humans. I dont really think that animals look at masculinity the same way we do.
Zip Code Grant Limited Availability
Review available zip codes. Beginning October 1, 2021, only pet owners who reside in the following zip codes will be eligible for free sterilizations: 78201, 78202, 78203, 78204, 78207, 78210, 78211, 78213, 78214, 78220, 78221, 78223, 78225, 78227, 78228, 78237, 78242The City of San Antonio Animal Care Services has generously provided funds for FREE spay/neuter surgeries at the San Antonio Humane Society and Brooks Spay/Neuter Clinic for those residing in the zip codes posted on the review link above. Your pet can also get a rabies vaccine and microchip for $7.00 each plus tax .
Appointments are limited. Limit 5 per household.
Recommended Reading: Kitten Fleas Dawn Soap
Read Also: What Plants Are Cats Allergic To
Which Other Organizations Provide Spay And Neutering Services
- Spay or neuter services are offered to qualified low-income clients by appointment only.
- Costs for cats are $50 for males and $55 for females.Costs for dogs are $75 to $140 based on weight and gender.* If a pet is pregnant, in heat, or encounters unforeseen complications, the cost of surgery will be more.
- Proof of income and a picture ID are required at pre-surgical exam
- All sources of income must be provided for every member of the household.
- Payment is due at time of drop off.
- Please withhold food from your pet after 10 pm the night before surgery leave water available all night.
Street Cat Hub
Offers help with trapping and surgeries for unowned street cats
For Bernalillo County residents:
Why Is It Important To Spay And Neuter Cats
Spaying and neutering cats prevent unwanted pregnancies and homelessness. According to the ASPCA, 6.5 million domesticated pets are surrendered or found homeless every year. Cats suffer tremendously in this equation.
Cats breed heavily, which is why having strays around can quickly lead to unwanted pregnancies. Indoor cats arent exempt, either, particularly if you have multiple cats living in the same home without being fixed. Cats reach sexual maturity around 6 months old, so you might wind up with a litter if you dont act early.
Spaying or neutering your cats is a responsible action taken by loving pet owners. Unless youre a breeder, youre risking putting kittens out into an unforgiving world. Many people want a cute kitten until it starts to grow up and become a burden.
Luckily, in recent years, more information and affordable options have been given to owners everywhere. So, instead of worrying about financial implications associated with this surgery, owners can find options that work best for them.
Recommended Reading: Do Cats With Kidney Disease Suffer
Will Neutering My Male Cat Stop Him From Spraying
- It is best to alter males before they reach five months of age, and before they start spraying or marking. Even if a cat has started spraying, neutering may help. It usually takes about 6 to 8 weeks for the hormones to subside after the neutering. Neutering helps prevent spraying, roaming and aggressive behavior.
Are There Any Disqualifications For Free To Low Cost Spay Or Neuter Of My Pets
Yes, the following factors disqualify your pet from free to low cost spay/neutering services:
- Pet owners under 18 years of age
- Any pet weighing less than 3 pounds
- Pets over 8 years of age
- Aggressive animals
- High Anesthesia Risk Pets ie: Bulldogs, Pugs, and Persian Cats
- Any animal assessed by the participating veterinarian as a surgical risk
- For information about sterilizing the unowned street cats in your neighborhood, contact Street Cat Hub, 247-9357. The group is well versed in where to get traps, how to use them, where to take the cats for sterilization and what to do afterward.
Also Check: Hp Love Craft Cat Name
Recommended Reading: What To Feed A Picky Cat
Low Cost Vaccinations & Vet Care
- PAW Team: For homeless or very low income people. Prequalification appointment is required. Call for an appointment. Located at 1718 NE 82nd Ave, Portland, OR 97220. 206-6033
- Vetco Clinics: Low-cost vaccination clinics at Petco locations. Appointment required.
- Good Neighbor Vet: Low-cost vaccinations are various locations, dates and times. 1 234-1350
- JOIN: Must be homeless to qualify for services. Located at 1435 NE 81st Ave, Suite 100, Portland. Call 232-2031. Temporarily suspended.
- Pixie Project: Offers some low cost medical/surgical services and spay/neuter. Inquire by email to .
- The Pongo Fund Veterinary Care: Offering lifesaving veterinary care on a case by case basis. Visit their website for questions and qualifications for service.
Low Cost Spay And Neuter Program
GAO can provide a certificate for use at a local veterinarian for the spay or neuter of your pet. This program is for owned pets in Williamson County, with a focus on assisting low-income pet owners. A co-payment is greatly appreciated to help keep this program going.
For more information, please fill out the form below. Due to funding considerations, we are only able to issue a limited number of vouchers per month. If we do not have an available voucher for you immediately, we can put you on a wait list.
Please help keep our low cost spay/neuter program alive by donating today.
You May Like: How Big Do Persian Cats Get
Thrifty Ways To Afford Outdoor Cat Shelters
1. Ask for scrap lumber from building supply stores or contractors. You can sometimes get this for free.
2. See if your local garden supply or feed store has surplus straw to use as insulation.
3. Look for used dog houses at garage sales or online community boards . They can easily be made into cat shelters by adding a little insulation and creating a smaller door.
4. Host a shelter-building party with others in your community. This way, you can split the cost of supplies and make even more cozy cat homes.
Resources For Other Services And Spay/neuter Vouchers
318 2nd Ave. Extension S., Seattle, WA 98104206.622.5177For homeless, low income and disabled with photo ID, proof of residence in Seattle or a medical coupon. Open the 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month from 3-5pm.
Arlington, WA 98223 652-9611Provides vouchers for free public spay and neuter for cats and kittens which can be redeemed at participating low-cost spay and neuter clinics.
Recommended Reading: Corn Gluten Meal In Cat Food
Spaying Or Neutering Is The Law
Los Angeles County Code §10.20.350 requires all residents of unincorporated areas in Los Angeles County to have their dogs and cats older than four months of age spayed or neutered. A number of cities that have also adopted this ordinance .
The exemptions to the requirement are:
Definition of Competition dog:
A dog used to show, compete, or breed, and is a breed registered with the American Kennel Club , United Kennel Club , American Dog Breeders Association , or other valid registry approved by the Director, and meets one of the following requirements:
Within the last 365 days, the dog has competed in at least one dog show or sporting competition approved by a national registry or the Director or
The dog has earned a conformation, obedience, agility, carting, herding, protection, rally, sporting, working, or other title from a purebred dog registry referenced above or other registry or dog sport association approved by the Director or
Definition of Competition cat:
The cat has earned a conformation title from a purebred cat registry or
Definition of Competition cat:
Cat Spay Or Neutering In Ontario
Cat neutering involves the castration of the testicles of a male cat so that he cannot impregnate a female cat. Spaying a cat involves the amputation of portions of the reproductive system of a female cat so she cannot get pregnant and give birth to kittens. Cat sterilization is a surgical procedure that our veterinary surgeon can efficiently and safely execute. We advise spaying and neutering between 4-6 months of age. If you are not positive when to Neuter A Cat, please check with Pets Care Hospital Ontario’s veterinarian at your next visit.
Also Check: Can My Cat Take Benadryl
Nhs Spay & Neuter Center
The Nebraska Humane Society Spay & Neuter Center is dedicated to providing you and your pet with affordable, high-quality spay and neuter services. Our center is staffed with highly-trained, caring individuals who will treat you and your pet with the utmost care and respect. Due to Covid-19 we do have some social distancing procedures to follow so check in and check out may take a bit longer. We appreciate your patience!
Dont Miss: Blue Wilderness Salmon Wet Cat Food
How Much Will The Spay/neuter Surgery Cost
- Prices vary by region and veterinarian. The price for vaccinations, which are often required will also vary by region and veterinarian. However, they are usually offered at a reduced rate. If you have researched the going rate for spay/neuter surgery in your area, we think you will find that our participating vets and programs offer affordable rates!
Recommended Reading: What To Do When Your Cat Has Fleas
Our Spay & Neuter Services In Richmond Hill
We are a public clinic with an objective to ensure every pet owner has access to spay/neuter services and preventive care for their pets. VetsPet Clinic Richmond Hill is ran by a certified, trained veterinary team. When you call or visit a VetsPet Clinic Richmond Hill, one of our Affectionate Veterinary Technicians will walk you through our services to aid you in deciding what your pet needs.
Our Spay & Neuter Services In Ontario
We are a public clinic with an objective to guarantee every pet owner has access to spay/neuter services and preventive care for their pets. Pets Care Hospital Ontario is staffed by a licensed, professional veterinary team. When you call or visit a Pets Care Hospital Ontario, one of our Affectionate Veterinary Technicians will walk you through our services to aid you in deciding what your pet needs.
Don’t Miss: Cat Rental Grand Island Ne
Low Cost Spay And Neuter Clinic For Cats At The New Hampshire Spca
- Clinics are held an average of two times per month, usually on Tuesdays.
- Space on all clinic days is first come, first served. Clinics are popular and typically fill six to eight weeks in advance.
- Registration in advance is required and is done over the phone or in person by coming into the shelter.
- Payment for the surgery fee is due at the time of registration and is payable by credit card or cash only.Please call to discuss costs for services.
- Due to the popularity of the Spay and Neuter Clinics, space on clinic dates cannot be held without payment.
- Once registered, you will receive a confirmation email with important information and forms. Please review this information prior to the clinic date. Consent and vaccine forms will need to be signed by the pet owner.
In addition to the spay/neuter surgery, the following services are available for an additional fee :
- Microchip: $25
- Rabies vaccination: $20*
- Distemper vaccination: $20
Please note: Not every cat is a candidate for surgery at a low-cost clinic. Clinics are designed to offer spay/neuter surgery services for several cats in one day and the surgery protocols are calculated with this in mind.Some pets require more individualized care due to their breed or underlying health conditions.Spaying and neutering a cat is surgery that carries risks. Pre-operative bloodwork, modified anesthesia protocols for individual animals and thorough exams are not possible prior to surgery at this Spay/Neuter Clinic.
My Cat/dog Is Sick Will The Veterinarians Give Me A Discount On Medical Treatment
- Your animal should be in good health when she or he goes in for surgery. If you have a sick cat or dog, you should speak with your vet about treatment. Other pet owners in your area may know of a good, reasonably priced vet. The vets who work with us have given us special rates for the spay/neuter surgery but this is not an ongoing discount.
You May Like: Good Dry Food For Kittens
Low Cost Spay/neuter Programs In Florida
In addition to the low cost spay/neuter services The Cat Network provides, periodically, we are asked if we are familiar with other low cost spay/neuter programs in Florida. We have compiled this list, but please keep in mind that it is not complete. If you are interested in finding a low cost spay/neuter program in your area, we suggest doing a search online.
MIAMI DADE COUNTY:
Humane Society of Greater Miami
North FacilityNorth Miami Beach, Fl 33160305-696-0800
They provide low cost service at both locations.
Animal Welfare Society
Dream Lake Animal Clinic 225-3116
These clinics have a limit of two free spays or neuters per household. Must be a recipient of Medicaid andbring card and photo ID.
VCHS, a non-profit low cost Spay/Neuter service offers male cat neuters for $25.00 and rabies vaccines for $7.00. Please call 305.202.0545 to make appointment. Drop offs are at 9 am and pick ups at 5 pm. The surgeries are performed at either of the two clinics listed below:
Veterinary Care Clinic
2330 SW 67 AveMiami, FL 33155
Veterinary Care Clinic also has all of the other vaccines at low prices. It is open on Saturdays, 3:30 6:00 pm for vaccinating only. No appointments needed.
They provide affordable spay/neuter services for domestic or feral cats.
Humane Society of Broward
This service of the Humane Society of Broward provides low cost spay/neuter on their van.
Broward County Animal Care and Regulation1870 SW 39th Street
DPC Vet Hospital
Schedule Spay & Neuter Appointment
We are now accepting new surgery appointment requests. We are currently operating by curb-side appointment only . We are not accepting any walk ins at this time. All surgeries must have an appointment scheduled prior to the surgery date.
We require an up to date rabies vaccination in order to perform surgery. If proof of a current rabies vaccine is not provided then one will be administered at a $10 charge. A Rabies certificate must be submitted. A Rabies tag is not considered proof of vaccination.
Please contact us prior to your appointment if your pet is 7 years of age or older, if your pet has a history of seizures, vaccination reactions, or if they have any other health concerns.
Read Also: Can You Use Dish Soap On Cats