Maine Coon Cat Rescue
Another surprising way you can find Maine Coon cats for cheap is through Maine Coon Cat rescues. While rare, some people have set up entire organizations around Maine Coons looking for their forever homes!
Do some research online to see if there are any Maine Coon Cat rescues in your area, and you might be able to take one of these lovely cats home for cheap!
Why Are Maine Coons So Expensive
Many potential Maine Coon owners are excited to purchase their first cat but are then horrified to discover just how expensive they can be.
A lot of people assume that breeders are simply selling Maine Coons for a high profit. However, there are a lot of different reasons why Maine Coon Cats are so expensive.
- Supply And Demand: The Maine Coon is rapidly becoming one of the most popular cat breeds in the world! There is a huge demand for these gentle giants. Unfortunately, the supply for high-quality Maine Coon kittens is rather low. After all, breeding cats takes time, and a female can only have so many kittens at once. This high demand and low supply ultimately drive up prices.
- Cost Of Breeding: Perhaps the biggest factor of the Maine Coons high price is the cost of breeding them. Good breeders spend a lot of money to make sure their kittens are healthy and ready to go to a forever home. There are many expenses to breeding that well cover later.
- Breeders Provide A High-Quality Service: Owning a Maine Coon Cat is a luxury. These are high-quality cats and are very different from your average domestic cat. Not only do they meet a rigid set of physical standards, but they are also known for their incredibly intelligent and affectionate nature. Breeders put a lot of time and care into raising healthy, beautiful kittens, and deserve to be paid well for their services.
How To Adopt Pirate Pete
If you are interested in this special Domestic long hair For Adoption in Los Angeles Ca, please fill out our online meeting request below. Once received and reviewed, our staff will ask the pets owner to reach out to you and arrange a meeting.
Questions about Pirate Pete? Contact our Maine Coon Cat rehoming team today.Text PiratePeteLA to 833-2128. We look forward to hearing from you.
You May Like: How Long Is A Cat Pregnant For In Weeks
Check With Groups And Organizations That Represent The Breed
There are rare cases when a breeder has to get rid of their cats and kittens so you should check with the local Coon cat organizations. Check with all the groups in your state and neighboring states to see if anyone has any kittens up for adoption.
Keep checking back. Leave your number and contact information.
B Recurring Maine Coon Costs
- Veterinary Checkups and Vaccinations: Youll likely need to spend about $200 a year on checkups and vaccinations.
- Insurance: If you want to make sure you can afford emergency care should the unthinkable happen, youll have to pay an annual cost of about $180 to $500 for pet insurance.
- High-Quality Food: Maine Coons require high-quality cat food, which will usually cost around $50 to $70 per month! Click on this link to read more about the five best Maine Coon cat food, for your treasured gentle giant.
- Litter: Cat litter typically costs around $40 per month. This , and is ideal for the job.
- Toys: Maine Coons play rough, and their large size means they require sturdy, more durable toys, which cost more. Its also important to provide your Maine Coon with new toys so they dont become bored or destructive. These are my favourite Maine Coon cat toys, as they have been both sturdy, well made, and great value for money.
You May Like: Low Cost Echocardiogram For Cats
Factors Affecting Maine Coon Cost
Many potential Maine Coon owners are surprised to learn just how varied the cost of a Maine Coon Cat can be. There are a lot of reasons behind these big price differences.
Here are the main factors that can affect the overall cost of a Maine Coon Cat:
- Pedigree Status: Pedigree status makes a huge difference in a Maine Coons price. If the cats lineage has a lot ancestors that are not pure-blooded Maine Coon, the price can drop considerably. Price will increase if the Maine Coons lineage includes high-quality show cats.
- Age: A Maine Coons price will also be affected by age. Kittens are highly coveted and therefore more expensive. After all, new owners will get to choose a kittens name, as well as watch it grow into an adult. Adult cats will cost slightly less, while senior cats might be significantly less expensive, especially if they are suffering from health problems.
- Health: A Maine Coons health is a huge factor in determining cost. A breeder will charge full price for a perfectly healthy Maine Coon Cat, but not every kitten is born in perfect health. Breeders will charge lower prices for cats suffering from genetic diseases, deafness, blindness, or permanent injury or disability.
- Color And Pattern: A Maine Coons coloration and patterns can also affect its price. Standard black or brown tabbies wont cost nearly as much as a rare silver or gold smoke Maine Coon.
Where Can I Find Maine Coon Kittens For Free
You might think its impossible to find a Maine Coon kitten completely free, but it can actually be done if youre patient and thorough!
Look online, especially on Craigslist and Facebook, for people looking to rehome Maine Coon kittens. Stay active in your community, as well you might even want to consider putting an ad in the newspaper.
Some people end up with unwanted litter and are looking to get rid of kittens for free! However, keep in mind that its more common to find Maine Coon mixes this way rather than pure-blooded Maine Coons.
You May Like: Cat Treats For Cats With Urinary Problems
What To Know About Maine Coons
Maine Coons are large inquisitive cats who love to be with their human family. They get along with children and other pets while also enjoying attention. The breed is very intelligent. Maine Coons are often known to fetch, hike with family members, enjoy water, and learn cat obstacles. Most of all, they enjoy being a part of the household. This breed is often referred to as the gentle giants or dogs of the cat world.
Check With Your Local Shelters
If you know what the physical traits are for a Maine Coon cat you may get lucky by simply checking the local shelters and taking a look a their cat population. Shelter workers are not experts on cats so they very likely are not aware of the breeds that they currently have up for adoption.
The only way to know for sure whether they have a Maine Coon kitten among their population is to go take a look yourself. You may be pleasantly surprised to find a Maine Coon kitten for adoption.
You May Like: Iams Proactive Health Kitten Dry Cat Food
Where Can I Get A Maine Coon Cat From
At first, you might think that purchasing a Maine Coon from a responsible breeder is the only possible way to bring home a cat of this breed. In reality, though, there are a lot of different possibilities!
Here are the different ways you can get a Maine Coon cat, as well as the pros and cons of each of them.
- A Reputable Breeder: Reputable breeders are the most reliable way to get a Maine Coon Cat. You will have documents providing assurance that your cat is purebred, and you will also know that your Maine Coon was treated well and is unlikely to have health problems. However, this is also the most expensive option.
- A Backyard Breeder: Backyard breeders are the riskiest way to get Maine Coon Cats. Not only do these breeders put less quality time and effort into raising their cats, but they are often dishonest and try to pass off mixed Maine Coons as purebreds. However, this is a cheaper option, and some owners have found luck this way.
- Maine Coon Cat Rescue: As mentioned earlier, there are also a few Maine Coon Cat rescues that specialize in this breed. If youre lucky enough to live near one, or youre willing to drive a long way, then you just might be able to get a Maine Coon through one of these rescues.
How Much Do Maine Coons Cost
Before making the choice to bring a Maine Coon home, youll have to find out if you can even afford one. Of course, Maine Coons will vary greatly depending on the breeder, age, and many other factors.
Here is a breakdown of the different possible costs of Maine Coon Cats:
- Kittens From A Breeder: Most people prefer to purchase a Maine Coon kitten from a breeder. Getting to watch your cat grow up from a young age is very important to many new owners. They also come with the added benefit of choosing a name for your kitten on your own. However, kittens tend to be more expensive than adult cats, costing between $600 and $1,500.
- Adult Cats From A Breeder: Adult cats are typically a bit less expensive than kittens because they have already been named and conditioned. You can usually purchase an adult Maine Coon for about $400 to $600 from a breeder.
- Show Quality Cats: Show quality cats have to meet a rigid set of standards in order to compete. As a result, purchasing a cat that is of high enough quality to compete in a show will cost you quite a bit more money. Cats of this status will usually cost between $1,000 and $2,000.
- Cats From A Shelter: Although rare, it is possible to find a Maine Coon Cat at a shelter. The biggest benefit of adopting a Maine Coon Cat from a shelter is that they are much less expensive. Most shelters charge between $100 and $250 for a cat or kitten, and the price includes vaccinations, spay/neutering, and a microchip.
Also Check: How To Get A Tick Off A Cat
Other Cat Breeds To Check Out:
- Bambino Cat
- Norwegian Forest
If you have never owned a Maine Coon before, or are interested in reading more information on these amazing cats, check out our Maine Coon Cat Breed Information page.
Our goal is to help you locate the perfect cat breeder near you one who is reputable, trustworthy, and honest. However, please keep in mind that while we have the largest cat breeder directory on the internet, we cannot personally vouch for any individual breeder that is listed here. Make sure you thoroughly check them out each cattery yourself to make sure they are ethical, honest, and raise healthy, happy kittens!
We are honored and privileged that you have chosen us to help you on your journey to cat ownership! In addition to visiting this website often, you can check us out on , , and for more information, pictures, and cute kitten videos!
- Are you a cat breeder who isnt listed? Add your information here.
We also highly recommend reading checking out our latest news articles at our blog. Find information on Cat health, nutrition, holistic healing, basic care, toys, and much more!
Maine Coon Breeder Costs
As mentioned earlier, one of the reasons Maine Coons are so expensive is because theyre expensive to breed and raise. So what all goes into breeding and raising Maine Coons?
Here are the costs that breeders must incur throughout the breeding process :
- Genetic Screening: Maine Coons are prone to several different genetic health conditions, including hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, polycystic kidney disease, spinal muscular atrophy, and erythrocyte pyruvate kinase deficiency. This means that breeders have to pay for screenings to determine whether or not their breeding cats can pass any of these diseases to their young. Each test costs about $50, which really adds up when you account for all the potential genetic disorders a Maine Coon can suffer from!
- Stud Fee: Some breeders will choose to purchase and keep their own stud cat, which can be expensive enough on its own. When purchasing a cat for breeding, you must pay an extra breeding fee, which usually costs around $2,000. Many breeders choose instead to rent a high-quality stud, often a show cat, who will then breed with their female. Of course, a stud fee doesnt come cheap, either!
- Purchasing A Breeding Cat: Breeders will also need a queen, which will also cost around $4,000 for a high-quality cat with a strong lineage as well as a breeding fee.
- Deworming: All kittens need to be dewormed several times when they are young, which not only costs money but takes time and patience.
Also Check: How Long Can A Cat Go Without Water
Where To Find Free Maine Coon Kittens
Maine Coon kittens are simply adorable and lovable and everything wonderful! There are a few rescue groups that specialize in Maine Coons. There are of course local shelters as well that may have mixed or older Coons available for adoption.
In most cases there will be some fee associated with the adoption process. You should also know that the shelters and the rescue groups that offer Maine Coon kittens for adoption have no way of guaranteeing that what you are getting is a full bred Maine Coon cat.
Usually these cats have been abandoned so the lineage is not known. Finding a pure bred Maine Coon kitten for free may be a rather impossible task.
Are Maine Coons Worth The Money
A lot of people begin to wonder if its even worth it to buy a Maine Coon. After all, you can get any other cat at a shelter for less than $200. In the end, though, most Maine Coon owners agree its worth every penny for this breed!
One of the most attractive features of the Maine Coon cat is its temperament. These cats are known for being highly intelligent, and many will play fetch, learn tricks, and even learn to walk on a leash and harness! Maine Coons are also famous for their gentle and affectionate nature.
Overall, Maine Coons are a breed that just cant be beaten, and if youre looking for a cat that will offer faithful companionship its whole life, then its well worth $5,00 to $2,500!
Also Check: What Food Can I Give My Cat To Gain Weight
How Much Do Maine Coon Kittens Cost
While many owners prefer to bring home a kitten rather than an adult cat, its worth noting that kittens are actually far more expensive. Not only do breeders and shelters charge more for kittens, but there are simply more expenses to consider.
Young kittens will require more vaccinations and deworming. They also require a larger amount of toys and enrichment!
Furthermore, kittens are more difficult to care for, and will cost a lot of your time and energy as you teach them not to chew on cords, jump on the table, or steal your food!
Cheap Maine Coon Kittens
You might have seen advertisements online for Maine Coon kittens selling for cheap, and you may have been tempted to purchase one. Keep in mind, however, that this is an incredibly risky thing to do.
Backyard breeders are breeders who cut corners and are solely motivated by profit. They often choose not to take their cats to the vet, or provide high-quality food or even living conditions! These people are only interested in making fast money, and will often sell mixed Maine Coons off as pure-blooded.
If youre mostly interested in a cat that is affectionate and intelligent, then you might be able to get away with purchasing a mixed Maine Coon. However, keep in mind that if you buy a kitten from a backyard breeder, it might suffer from a variety of health problems.
Overall, buying a kitten for cheap is a risky move, but if youre willing to take that risk, then you just might get lucky!
Don’t Miss: Cost To Spay And Vaccinate A Cat
What Are The Most Expensive Cat Breeds
The Maine Coon is known for being one of the more expensive cat breeds out there, but its far from the most expensive.
Heres a list of the most expensive cat breeds in the world :
- Ashera: The Ashera is an incredibly rare cat breed that is a hybrid of a domestic cat and an Asian leopard and an African Serval. These cats can cost up to $125,000 and are extremely difficult to care for. There is a lot of controversy surrounding this breed and others like it, however, as they are half-wild and require more enrichment than humans can properly provide.
- Savannah: The Savannah is another exotic and expensive cat breed, which can cost up to $50,000! These highly coveted cats are a cross between an African Serval and a Persian.
- Bengal: Another highly exotic cat, the Bengal is a cross between a domestic cat and an Asian leopard. Bengal cats can cost up to $25,000 each!
- Toyger: The Toyger is a cross between a Bengal and a domestic cat, making it easier to care for, but retaining those attractive, wild-looking rosettes. They usually cost around $5,000. This is a great way to have the beautiful look of a wild cat that is easier and more ethical to care for.
- Persian: The Persian cat is a luxurious and beautiful breed, costing between $1,500 and $3,000. Theyre known for their long, silky fur, docile nature, and distinctively flat faces. Keep in mind, however, that those flat faces can cause breathing problems, as well as other health problems.